10 Tips To Manage Stress
Sometimes it seems like every day is a journey from one stressful situation to another. Pressures at home, work, and other commitments can become overwhelming. Use these 10 tips to manage stress in productive ways every day. These solutions don’t take long, and you can easily complete most of the exercises, no matter where you are.
- Breathe. Take a break and focus your attention on your breathing. Sit up straight, and close your eyes. Slowly inhale through your nose, taking a long and deep breath. Exhale through your mouth just as slowly.
- Journal. Keep a journal to record the things you are grateful for, such as good health, or even getting a parking spot in front of your favorite shop. Fill up the pages with good experiences, accomplishments, and positive statements. Focusing on these positive aspects leaves less room for negativity. When you are feeling stressed, read through your journals to remember the good things in your life.
- Give a hug. Experiencing a 20-second hug reduces physical stress, reduces blood pressure, and reduces heart rate. Hugging releases oxytocin that reduces cortisol, a known stress hormone.
- Enjoy a cup. Green tea has less caffeine than coffee or sodas. It also has healthy antioxidants and theanine, an amino acid that helps calm your nervous system.
- Exercise. Doing something as simple as taking a walk around the block during your lunch break can reduce your stress levels. Exercising releases endorphins that will almost immediately improve your mood.
- Laugh. Another way to release endorphins and improve your mood is simply to laugh. Watch your favorite comedy movie or TV show. Visit a live comedy show. Check out some of the joke sites on the Internet. Share time with someone you know who has a witty streak.
- Get a massage. Getting a massage will help lower your heart rate and blood pressure. It also helps promote muscle relaxation and emotional release.
- Eat a healthy diet. A poor diet increases your reactions to stress, while a healthy diet increases emotional well being. Add more fruits and vegetables. Avoid the snack machine.
- Practice yoga. Yoga combines several stress-reducing techniques, including breathing, physical movement, meditation, and guided imagery.
- Ask for help. You don’t have to do it all. When life starts to get overwhelming, reach out to family and friends. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness.
Remember, you need not be stressed in your everyday life. To talk more controlling the stress in your life, or about anything else, please contact me.
Add A Comment